The PADI Open Water Diver course consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge Development (online, independent study or in a classroom) to understand basic principles of scuba diving
- Confined Water Dives to learn basic scuba skills
- Open Water Dives to use your skills and explore!
In the PADI Open Water Diver course, you learn to use basic scuba gear, including a mask, snorkel, fins, regulator, buoyancy control device and a tank. The equipment you wear varies, depending upon whether you’re diving in tropical, temperate or cold water.
The PADI Open Water Diver course is the most popular dive program in the world! This is your ticket to a lifetime of intense adventure which requires only 3 or 4 days of training and never expires. You must be over 15 years old to begin the PADI Open Water Diver program. If you are between 10 and 15 years old and would like to participate in the PADI Open Water Diver program, the PADI Jr Open Water Diver program is available to you. (A PADI Jr Open Water Diver between the ages of 10 and 11 years may only dive with a PADI Professional, a certified parent or certified guardian to a maximum depth of 12 meters / 40 feet.)
PADI Open Water divers are qualified to:
- Dive independently together with another certified diver (without supervision) to a maximum depth of 18 meters / 60 feet
- Continue their education with the Adventures in Diving program or PADI Specialty courses
- The course takes 3 to 4 days and includes 2 days of knowledge development and pool training as well as 2 days training in the open water with 4 training dives.
- You just need your swim gear, the rest we have for you.
- Your instructor will help you to close your knowledge gaps and answer all the questions you might have from your self study by using a video and lesson guides. You will need to correctly answer 75% of the 50 questions in the final exam (multiple choice) where most Dive Asia’s students score 90+%. The Knowledge Development is now also available online as an eLearning Course.
Training in the swimming pool
- Our swimming pool offers a 1,50 meters. Your instructor will explain and slowly demonstrate each and every skill for you and give you enough time to practice. We will also check if you are able to swim and feel comfortable in the water.
Training in open water
- During your course you will participate in 4 open water training dives which will last 40-60 minutes each. Two of those will take you to a maximum depth of 12 meters / 40 feet and the other two dives are limited to 18 meters / 60 feet. The first dive does not include any formal skills and will help you to acclimatise to the new environment. During the 3 remaining dives you will apply the skills you have already mastered in the swimming pool to open water conditions, combined with a guided tour to explore Krabi's tropical reefs.
- Day 1 - Theory and Pool
- Day 2 - Theory and Pool
- Day 3 - at Sea
- Day 4 - at Sea
Date at sea to be arranged by instructor
- Pool usage
- Equipment Rental
- Boat rental
- Lunch at sea on day 3-4
- Log book
- PADI Set